Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Tricks! Treats!

Ah, Halloween! Tonight I holed up at the table with a cup of tea and a bowl of candy, attending to the needs of the tiny and not so tiny children of the co-op.

Here are some of the costumes worn by those adorable and not so adorable sprogs:

Buzz Lightyear
Ariel
Unidentified Alien-type thingy
Panhandler
Axe murderer
Dead Nun (she was at least six)
Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtle
Alien with silver feelers
Unidentifiable but cute
Unidentifiable
Robin -- nice handmade costume
Snow White (perfect costume and not more than three feet tall, cheeks carefully rouged, stepped on my foot by accident)
Bunch of grapes (handmade -- genius costume)
King
Robot
Knight
Dog
Unidentifiable (and badly behaved!)
Circus performer
Power ranger
Death
Unidentifiable
Green-haired witch (asked for a glass of water)
Pink-haired witch (joined her friend for a glass of water)
Witch
Goth
Harem girl
Butterfly (about two years old; mumbled at me in Russian)
Generic princess (was holding the Butterfly's feelers for her)
Generic princess II
Cat (corrected me when I called the butterfly a "pretty princess." Oops)
Princess
Superman
Leprechaun
Juan Valdez (not even kidding)
Wolverine
Mister Incredible
Devil girl
Bubble wrap
Tiger Lily (from Peter Pan)
Elvira
Crusader



ETA:
...And just now, a straggler. The evening's final customer: an eight or nine-year-old witch.

"You know what?" I said, "Why don't you take a whole big handful, 'cause I think I'm going to close up shop for the night."

"Really?" she said. She grinned at me and took a giant handful of candy and stuffed it into her bag.

I looked down at my still-very-full bowl.

"Why don't you take another handful," I suggested.

It's nice to be able to make someone light up like that so easily.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home